Sunday, August 21, 2005

Winter in the Apple Isle


Sunday 21 Aug 2005. Welcome to Richmond, Tasmania, population 800. Richmond boasts over 50 historic buildings as well as Australia's oldest bridge - convict built of course. Richmond is also the home of Australia's oldest standing, complete prison, another convict built gem. St John's Catholic church is also the oldest in Australia...... Enough of the heritage lesson.
Today's weather was spectacular, gale force winds and rain direct from Antarctica buffeting the house, the windows were actually rattling. I was lovely and cosy inside - what a great feeling.
I ventured into Hobart today to do a spot of shopping, it's about 25 klms from Richmond. My sense of direction seems to have stayed at home in Cairns. After I left the shopping centre I ended up on the bridge over the Derwent, the opposite direction to Richmond. The first exit off the bridge is the Hobart Botanic Gardens, the sun was out by then so I did a little jaunt around the gardens. There were Daffodils galore, putting on the most beautiful display. I also saw Peter Cundall's vegie patch (on Gardening Australia). The whole time I was there I only saw 4 other visitors, guess the morning storm kept them at home.

No comments: