Saturday, August 06, 2005

Low Tech Mobile Computing

I've been grappling with the issue of being separated from my computer for 6 weeks whilst I'm in Tasmania, even though I will have access to a PC with ADSL and XP. I do have a 5 year old notebook which takes about 10 minutes to execute a keystroke so I'd quickly become deranged if I had to use it for any length of time.

I'm not keen on buying a new laptop, the price you pay for a mediocre processing speed and tiny hdd is still very high.

My solution is to take all my important files and software with me in a portable hard disk. I found a fabulous 40 gigabyte pocket drive which is less than 120 grams. It fits in the palm of your hand! One really great feature of this drive is that it doesn't need an AC power cable, it only has one USB cable, so it's extremely portable. Another plus - software drivers are not required, the drive worked as soon as I plugged it into my XP PC. File copying time is excellent too. Cost under AUD$300.

1 comment:

Paul said...

Wow, you're such a geek! How about living without the computer for a few weeks?