Friday, July 08, 2005

Melbourne Trams, Mentally ill & Random Violence

Melbourne wouldn't be Melbourne without a tram experience. Usually when I travel on a tram in Melbourne I attract mentally ill people who insist on sitting next to me and talking nonsense at me, so far they've always been harmless & non-threatening. Today I was travelling in one of those fancy, brand new Yarra trams going through Bourke St Mall. I got myself a window seat so I could watch the teeming masses outside. All of a sudden one of the masses broke out of the crowd (a young guy wearing a beanie) ran across the road and punched the tram just under the window of the seat in front of me, then ran off again. The chap in said seat didn't see this random act of violence but he heard it and nearly jumped out of his seat. I couldn't help smiling, but quickly reverted to the serious, aloof look that Melbourne commuters have to adopt.

1 comment:

brent said...

i didn't pay for my tram fares while in melbourne. none of the locals did either. but my question to you is, did you pay full fare?